Since 1902 Catholic education has been a vital tradition in the ministry of St. Benedict Parish. The Schools of St. Benedict prepare young people from preschool through high school for life long learning through academic excellence based on individual needs and talents, spiritual formation, personal growth, and a commitment too multicultural community life and Christian stewardship.
Beginning with the 2010 school year, the Schools of St. Benedict will be realigned and restructured as St. Benedict Preparatory Schools. There are many changes happening here, with the support of the faculty, staff, school boards, and school families. Put simply, Vision of Excellence is the transition plan for creating a high-caliber, secondary college-prep education option. Because we educate students PK - 12 in one educational facility, we are able to begin the rigorous college prep work beginning in 6th grade. How will we do this? Here is the basic plan:
1) There is one vision for the PK-12 school: quality, Catholic education. All faculty and staff are seen as a team for making this a reality. A thoughtful coordination of school resources, content area specialists, and programming will allow for a well-planned school program.
2) We will align the curriculum so that we begin with the “end in mind.” That is, we will begin with what we expect our high school students to be able to know and do when they graduate: 21stcentury learning skills, Catholic values, and leadership qualities. Our curriculum for grades 6-12 will lead us to this “graduate.”
3) Our secondary program (grades 6-12) will offer a balance of courses that will meet the academic
needs of our students, so they will be challenged in the areas they require challenge. Rigorous electives will be based on the core curriculum. We will utilize one-to-one technology to increase students’ organization, resources, and motivation.
4) We will define academic rigor and excellence as a faculty, to ensure consistently highexpectations across the faculty and programs. Everything we do will communicate “What is happening here is important.” Everything we do in the secondary program will lead students to the Path of higher education.
5) We have devoted resources and time to appoint administrators whose sole responsibility is students, teachers, and instruction. Clearly, these are the “balls which cannot be dropped,” and we are able to support our teachers and our students with the call to learn and excel.
- Athletic Association of St. Benedict (AASB) - with the Athletic Director coordinates and oversees all student athletic programs of the parish.
- Development Department – raises funds and cultivates financial support for all the schools
- Home and School Association - with the collaboration of the principal of the Elementary & Middle schools and director of the preschool assists with volunteer needs, candy sales, parties, projects and special needs.
For more information contact
High School Rachel Gemo CEO St. Benedict Preparatory Schools firstname.lastname@example.org
Elementary/Middle Schools - Rachel Gemo, CEO - Rgemo@stbenedict.com or 773-463-6797, ext. 404
Preschool – Rachel Waldron, Director - email@example.com or 773-588-7851 ext. 601